Friday, October 16, 2009

Nqobisitha

The first time I saw him he was sitting next to his father under a tree on a hot sunny afternoon. I was tired. I had just walked 2 miles to get back to where we are staying but some things make you forget exhaustion. I had never seen trachoma in person before but Nqobi is already at stage 4 so even with my little training I could recognize it as soon as I knelt down in front of him. Have you ever seen an 8 year old who has given up on life? This kid has. He would barely lift his shoulders to look at me even though I was right in front of him; partly because the light hurts his eyes so much. They were swollen and crusty with discharge. He can barely see at this point because of the gray film over his pupil. Needless to say Nqobi impacted me.

On top of his eyes he is so malnourished that he is the size of his 4 year old cousin. His mother died when he was 2 and although his father loves him he can't take care of him because he has to work. Nqobi stays with some cousins who are struggling to provide for themselves. Over the next few days after I first met him our team visited his home to begin treatment on his eyes. It was a dramatic improvement just by washing them.

On Monday Nqobi is coming to stay at the base we are living at. They have a home for orphans there and they will temporarily take care of him while we continuing treating his eyes. We can clean them up but we can't cure his blindness. We do, however, serve a God who can and therefore we are expecting and asking for a complete recovery. The most important treatment we can give people as a medical team is prayer.


I wanted to share Nqobisitha with you because he is the reason I did this school. I could tell you all about the primary school we do health teachings/health care at or the home visits we make to the community members. I could tell you about how we got permission from the chief of the community to do a community-wide teaching on HIV/AIDS last Saturday. For me, though, it comes down to people like Nqobi. People who need help from someone to show them that life is not hopeless, that there is a God who loves them and created them, and that they do not have to die from something we can prevent.

I have been in Zimbabwe for just a short time but it will certainly affect the rest of my life. In a week I am going from the bush to the bush-bush or in other words we are traveling farther into Zimbabwe to work in a village. Obviously, I will have no internet connection so I will talk to you in December. Thanks for your prayers and support! I love you guys!

Isimbi Johanna

4 comments:

Glo said...

This was beautifully written Johanna!
I was picturing you kneeling in front of him and his small, tired, hurting body. I"m so glad you were there for him! And SO glad he's being taken care of.

Can you help with pronouncing his name?

It's wonderful too the teaching on HIV/AIDS!

Praising God and loving you!
Mumma xo

Anonymous said...

Hey Bug, I am so proud of you. Compassion is certainly a gift with which you have been very blessed. And your Holy Discontent is clearly the injustice of impoverished people suffering from disease, especially treatable diseases. I love you and am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

It's great to see you working straight from your heart. God bless you and others through you, Isimbi! I think of you often, and I'm praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Johanna, you are such a example to us all. We will pray for you and those you touch.

God Bless from the Nee Family