Saturday, October 29, 2011

For Love of a Continent

Recently I was returning to the ship after being out in Freetown all day and I was reminded again that love comes from God. I was crammed into the backseat of a poda-poda (public taxi van) shoved into the smelly armpit of the guy next to me and my favorite Sierra Leone hip-hop song was blaring through the poda-poda. I had a pounding headache from walking in the sun all day and not drinking enough water. I also realized that I had no idea where I was going. It was already dark out and I couldn't recognise where we were. The one overwhelming feeling I had in the midst of all this was great happiness.

I love being here in Africa. A love that somehow comes straight from God. I have had just enough glimpses of his great love for this continent that it makes me love it too. He died to redeem this place and these people. Living here on the ship is not like being in Africa. It is a comfortable bubble which is fine for all the crewmembers coming and going; as for me, I would spend all of my time out in the country if I could. Living the way the people here do, eating what they eat, and learning what they know. I love having discussions with the people of Sierra Leone. They have a great freedom of speech and really enjoy debating. It is fascinating for me to see the world through their eyes.

So during the week I work scrubbing away at bloody instruments and studying to become certified as an OR sterilizer. It is good work and I enjoy it. On the weekends I go out into the country. I walk around or ride in poda-podas to the houses of my friends here in Sierra Leone. Usually we share a meal together and I am reminded how much I love being in Africa.

Isimbi Johanna

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you

Patty Lueken said...

Wow! Your in Sierra Leone now? I look forward to reading more of your posts... Are you heading home soon... it's a month since your last post perhaps you are already back... Hope to get back here soon. The Lord bless you as you serve Him!!
Patty Lueken

Anonymous said...

the article amazes me that someone's armpit is smelly,,,yap coz the guy doesnt have enough money and time to buy a soap and spend a luxury time playing with water like in the west.love for the continent,,hmmm there is a contrast in what u write and in what you mean....

Anonymous said...

there is no smelly human being in Africa,,except a dead body..mind ur language..

Isimbi Johanna said...

I think you can find smelly people anywhere you go in the entire world. People smell but if you love them you don't care:)