Sunday, September 11, 2011

Africa Baby

I was speaking with an elderly man from Nigeria recently who yelled out "Africa!" as I walked by him. This was because I have talked with him about Africa before. I went over to him and he took my hand and called me an "Africa baby."

I suppose that is as good a description of me as any other. In a funny way I feel almost as if I grew up in Africa. Certainly as a Christian at least. In many ways it feels almost like going home when I return there but in many other ways I am glad it is not. The truth is that when my immune system can no longer fight back and when I am immensely saddened to hold another sick or dying child that I can do so little for I always have the option of America. To step back and take a break from grinding poverty is a luxury that the majority of Africans never know.

I am going back to Africa tomorrow; specifically to Sierra Leone. I miss the wet, earthy smell of Africa that hits you the second you step of the plane, the graceful women walking along the road with tremendous loads on their heads, and the beautiful malnourished children who smile with such joy it makes me think they must have been playing with Jesus Himself.

More than anything else I miss the intensely up close and personal way I encounter my Lord God in Africa. Africa strips away your comfort and complacency and challenges you to make a decision: there is either a loving God of the Bible or there isn't. It makes sense to me to conclude that there is because who else but a God like Him could enable people to live with such beauty surrounded by such suffering. I miss seeing God like that. I have realized that Africa equips me to serve people better in America.

By Monday evening I will have arrived in Freetown, Sierra Leone to begin 3 months working as an OR sterilizer with Mercy Ships. That will be good but mostly I am excited to spend time with God in Africa again:)

Talk to you all from the ship!
Isimbi Johanna

1 comment:

Mrs. Agaba said...

Bug i am so proud of you and wish i could be back on the continent with you right now! love and miss you murumuna!