Saturday, September 17, 2011

My boy Nqobisitha

This afternoon I hung 4 pictures up above my little bed. There were 2 pictures of my siblings and I, which I find very supporting when I am feeling lonely, a picture of Silivia my baby girl in Uganda laughing, which just makes me happy to look at, and a picture Nqobisitha sitting on the ground in Zimbabwe, which is a particularly acute motivator when I am feeling tired. I stood there looking at them afterwards and I realized that he, Nqobisitha, is a big reason a came back here to Africa.

I think about this little boy almost every single day. He is one of 2 people that I cry about the most when I think of them. He would be about 10-years old now and most likely still has no mother. I am not completely sure why but God has laid Nqobi on my heart so intensely that sometimes I feel nearly as if I am grieving over my lost son when I think about him. Right now I can't feed him, or wash him, or make sure he is happy and not hurt so instead I came here to the Africa Mercy where at least in the long run I am helping kids like him.

I don't know if I made much of an impact on Nqobisitha; I spent a few nights feeding him, holding him in my arms while he fell asleep, and whispering prayers in his ear that he would grow up healthy and strong and loving God. He ,however, has certainly made an impact on me. It is this I find that I am thinking the most my first week back here in Africa.

I finally have an opportunity to go off the ship today and see Freetown. I was starting to feel trapped onboard here so I called my parents earlier and told them about it and they said they would be praying for me. An hour later I walked out of my cabin and immediately got an invitation to go to the market:) Thanks parents! It is an encouraging reminder to me of how my heavenly Father cares for me.

Next time I will have to tell you about cleaning surgical instruments all day! Talk to you later!

Isimbi Johanna

No comments: