Monday, July 6, 2009

What Can I Say

Hi all,

So I don't really know what to say when a South African doctor tells you that the Christian church has failed when it comes to HIV/AIDS; or when he points out that all the Christian countries in Africa are the ones with the highest infection rates. It prompts some serious thinking.

Our school has started of right away because we have a lot of material to cover in a short amount of time. We had our first lectures on Saturday but were able to have this afternoon off. A lot of our schedule will depend on when the doctors are available to come and talk. We also have a lot of schoolwork to do which I need to be working on right now. More of the students have come although we are still waiting on some. A lot of the people here on base are from Ghana so I have enjoyed the chance to talk about Ghana with them. I might get a chance to relearn some Twi that I forgot. Overall this place is very western compared to the Africa I am used to. While I enjoy the hot showers and the faucet water you can wash your toothbrush in without getting sick I will be glad to be back in more traditional Africa. I am very excited to go Zimbabwe!

I should go do schoolwork so I will talk to you all later!

Isimbi Johanna

1 comment:

Glo said...

You are in the right place, that's for sure. Thanks for prompting 'serious thinking' for US.

I just looked at pictures of the base. Wow. What a place!

Love you,
Mumma