Friday, September 18, 2009

The blessing of getting old

Hi all,

Someday I hope that I get to grow old. The past week and half has been a wonderful experience. The home our team has been working at is amazing and the ladies who started it are an inspiration to anyone about how to persevere. We have been doing all sorts of things from working in the kitchen or ironing laundry to assisting with bathing the residents and giving them meals. I am reminded of what a privilege it is to stay alive long enough to grow old. Some of the people we work with have seen a lot here in South Africa over the years. Unfortunately for us, many of the residents only speak Afrikaans or if they do speak English they are not exactly completely in touch with reality but it definitely makes for some interesting conversations.

The time here has gone by so fast and I can't begin to tell you everything that has happened. I don't have long on the internet so I will update you in more detail next week when we return to Worcester for one last week of lectures. The most exciting thing I have to tell you is that two weeks from now I will be in Zimbabwe! I will talk to you later

Isimbi Johanna

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a second there I though your title was "The blessing of getting cold" and thought you were starting to embrace the better seasons of the year. I'll be thinking of you as I enjoy this marvelous New Hampshire fall, too bad you can't make it to the Deerfield fair (I'm actually gonna get to go for once).

Love you,
Joel

Glo said...

Well, Darlin', I'm glad you were blessed and inspired by the older people - I'm hoping that will help as I get older! Hehe. ;)
Seriously, I'm sure that we can learn SO MUCH from them, it really is wonderful that you got to spend time with them.
I'm hoping we can do Skype soon!
Loving you and missing you,
Mumma XO

Sue K. said...

I've found it a real blessing to work with the senior citizens that come into our doctor's office. Probably 90% of our patients are retirement age or older. They do have so much to give! Marla is ready to send her application in to YWAM Australia, her passport came the other day and she is very stoked to say the least! Enjoying your updates!